Banned books and other forms of censorship

On the banning of books, censorship and other freedom of access issues

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bombay court upholds ban on Islam book

The Bombay high court of India upheld in a Jan. 6 decision a ban issued in March 2007 by the state of Maharashtra against the book, Islam — A concept of Political World Invasion by R.V. Bhasin. The court said the book was banned not simply for criticizing Islam, but because its critique was not "bona fide or academic" and that it was written with malicious intent, declaring it to be an “aggravated form of criticism made with a malicious and deliberate intention to outrage the feelings of Muslims." It said freedom of expression guaranteed in India's constitution could not be abused to trigger “senseless destruction of lives and property and breach of public order." It declared as objectionable passages of the book about Jihad, the Quran, Mohammed Paigamber, Indian Muslims, and religious conversions. The court's decision said in part:

"NOW, THEREFORE, in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 95 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), in its application to the State of Maharashtra, the Government of Maharashtra hereby declares that every copy of the said Book “ISLAM – A Concept of Political World Invasion by Muslims” as well as the relevant translation thereof as the translated Book – “ISLAM RAJNAITIK VISHWA PAR MUSLIM AKRAMAN KI AVADHARANA” shall be banned and forfeited to the Government."

Bhasin vowed to appeal the case to India's Supreme Court.

Critics of the court's decision say it is not the book which was malicious but the "politically driven furor" against it, as one writer put it.

At least 10,000 copies were printed when the book was published in 2003. Police raided the office in 2007 and confiscated all available copies.

Sources: DNAIndia.com, Jan. 7 [Mayura Janwalkar], Jan. 9 [Kareena N Gianani]; OutlookIndia.com [Sundeep Dougal], Jan. 9, with link to full text of court judgment.

4 Comments:

Blogger My Walkabout said...

So glad to have stumbled on this site. very, very informative and interesting.

Thanks!

10:24 AM  
Blogger danaellyn said...

First, let me say a huge "Thank You!" for your wonderful blog. I have just recently come across it as I worked on my most recent project....

I am a painter (and an avid reader) and I have an exhibit coming up that I thought you'd be interested in hearing about. I have created a collection of paintings all inspired by banned and challenged books. I am exhibiting it at the Martin Luther King Library in Washington DC starting next week (6/21).

The entire collection of work from the exhibit is on a dedicated page on my website:
http://www.danaellyn.com/press/banned/banned.html
And, it includes links with brief descriptions of the books and the symbolism in the paintings.

Even though this exhibit hangs next week, it is going to be an ongoing project for me for years and years to come. In fact, I have another solo exhibit planned for November 2011 which will be a whole new set of banned book inspired paintings! VERY exciting.

If you're on Facebook, I've also created an event for the exhibit.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=126177137421167

If you're interested, feel free to pass along my website and/or the Facebook event to anyone you know who may be interested. Or, I at least hope that you enjoy viewing my paintings and seeing what the banned books inspired in me :)

My best,
Dana

1:27 PM  
Blogger Stephen Denney said...

Hi Dana,
I am sorry I missed your posting until today. I will note it here on the blog. Great work!
- Steve Denney

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Clipping Path Services said...




Very informative article it really helped me so much and the strategies are awesome.Thanks for sharing.



4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home